Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Potions Homework - Part 1

Homework ... a chance to learn something new and see what turns up while "cooking up" concoctions! This week it's potions.

Part 1 stipulated I needed to take photos of five different plants, herbs, or flowers that might be used in potions. I went overboard and took six. I hope this won't detract from my grade. I just had to add in the final one because after I looked at it on the computer, I noticed something different which I had not seen when I took the original shot!
Rhododendron blossom. We've been studying plants and this was a great example of the stamen and it's anther and filament, as well as the pistil and it's stigma and ovary (at the base). I additionally like how the photo came out with the water droplets. These shots were all taken after a rain storm. As you may be able to tell, the petals have a soft appearance to them. It is for this reason I use them in lotions. With age comes wrinkles. Dewy petals = dewy skin! At least that is what I'm hoping for as an end result.
Basil, a lovely herb in one of our garden boxes. My daughter and oldest son were out pulling off leaves so they could sniff their heady essences. This leaf I use for food and creating gastronomical deliciousness. Wonderful as a pork rub. The leaves, also have a fuzzy, soft texture. They would lend themselves nicely as a wrap over a cut. Perhaps the plant has hidden health qualities not only through digestion, but also as an applicant. Something worth trying out.
Parsley. Oldest son's instructions? Pull off a leaf, roll it up, stick it inside your nostril, squeeze your nostrils shut, blow out the leaf, and then inhale through your nose. Essence of parsley! If this isn't nature's way of waking you up, I don't know what is! Perhaps better than smelling salts. Will have to inquire with Madam Pomfrey if this is something I could keep in a vial in my pouch for just such occasions.
Lemon thyme. I love the aroma of this plant and it's wonderful for cooking. This photo came out so well, you could see the minute details of the hairs on the leaves! Again, another soft plant to the touch. Like a lamb's ear. Great for gastronomical discoveries, but I'm wondering if it, too, might be good for lotions for the face, due to the softness and aromatic qualities. Would make a wonderful shampoo, as well, leaving a very fresh smell to ones hair and skin.
Lilacs, my husband's favorite flowers. They have such a divine fragrance. The color is superb. I would love to have my house surrounded by all varieties of lilacs. But, sadly, we only have the two bushes, and only one is flowering at the moment, and this is the extent of it so far. I would include the nectar from these flowers in a love potion. It is very heady and sweet and soft smelling.
Lastly, the chives were flowering and my son had plucked off the heads. I picked up this really pretty one because I just love the purple color. What I didn't notice when I was shooting it was the livestock inside! Look closely. Can you see the inhabitant? This one I would use for the color properties only in just about any potion. However, I do not like the aroma from the chives, so I'd have to find a way to omit this particular element. Will have to use only the petals in the potion and make sure not an ounce of nectar makes its way into whatever I'm brewing.




2 comments:

  1. So what is that hiding in the chive? It's kid of hard for me to see it (assuming it is where I think it is...LOL). Lilacs are my mom's favorite flowers...growing up we had a lilac bush in our yard, and I always think of choldhood memories any time I smell them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermione, it's a red ant, I think! eeew! I really do not like bugs! If I'd seen it, I would NEVER have put it on my hand!

    ReplyDelete