Sunday, April 4, 2010

Transfiguration - Homework 2

This is my personal identification marker for this assignment. It is my wedding ring.

This week I am learning how to transfigure things. I have a list of items I am supposed to be able to charm into something else. Perhaps some items may appear wonky, but I have studied the books rather diligently and I hope my efforts will pay off.

These are the items I gathered to be used in the making of Hagrid's Rock Cakes. My marker is located on top of the Morton Salt container on the left of the photo.

Hagrid's Rock Cakes Charm
Measured, precise, Sugar and spice,
Yeast, and eggs from a hen.
Whirl around, Flour is sound,
Currants to add near the end.
Rise and grow, Heat and so,
Ready to share with a friend.

Wand movements:
The wand is held delicately between the fingers, letting it have an airy touch. This is important if you want the cakes to be light and fluffy. Twirl the end of your wand in tiny clockwise circles above the ingredients following a figure-eight pattern. At the end of three figure-eight patterns, flick your wand upward in a quick motion. This additionally adds to the light and airy quality of the cakes. If you are not precise with the wand movements, cakes could end up heavy and leaden.
And, voila! The end result! My marker is located on the bottom right Rock Cake.

The Golden SnitchThe items gathered to transfigure into the Golden Snitch.

Golden Snitch Charm

Zippitty fast bird,
Darned near impossibly seen.
Airy Golden Snitch!

Wand movements:
A light touch is required with this charm as you flick your wand up and down during the casting of the spell. You do not want a heavy hand with this one! You will desire the snitch to end up fast and quick, so your movements must be precise. Make sure your wand arm wrist has been limber up prior to performing this charm, otherwise you will not obtain the maximum flicking required to make the snitch quick.
The transformation took place rather quickly, but I had only moments before it took off again ... with my ring! I had to have the house elves help me corner it to get my ring back!

Remembrall
I gathered the items I thought I could transfigure into a Remembrall.

Remembrall Charm

Orb of wonder you will become,
Remembering my thoughts
Long time gone.

Wand movements:Wave your wand over the items as you repeat the incantation three times.

Bowtruckle


Supplies laid in and ready for the charm:

Wood and glue fuse as one
Make this into a Bowtruckle for fun.


Voila! Had to grab the little sucker before he ran away so I could take the photo!



Decoy Detonator

I gathered what I thought would be good supplies and waved my wand over them with my eyes closed. I wasn't sure what was going to happen:


Decoy Detonator Charm:


Blastomus Maximus!
Eegads ... I better grab my ring and run!


Nose-Biting Tea Cup



After hunting up the supplies for this transfiguration experiments I grabbed my wand and with numerous flicks and whirls:


Gentle cup for quiet tea

Fascinate me with your teeth!


ARHG! Excuse me while I save my son!



Spectrespecs


I had visions of Luna in my head when I gathered these supplies. What fun!


Spectrespecs Charm:


Witty glasses full of charm
Present me with Spectrespecs to disarm!

Woo-hoo!



Time Turner
This was a little more challenging, but here it goes:

Time Turner Charm:

Time may come and and time may go
But let me pass through it to and fro!


Whee! Yippee!

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that Hagrid doesn't quite have that "airy" touch on the wand mastered...LOL Do you happen to recall the incantation you used? (It'll give us an extra 2 House Points if you add it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermione, that's what the charm is ... the incantation. Or did I misunderstand? Am I supposed to do things with Latin words?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, that was my misunderstanding! I noticed the incantation the next time I came back and looked. :) You're just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on Transfiguring all these items! I think your rock cakes came out WAY better than Hagrid's ever do--they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete