Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Care of Magical Creatures Homework

Well, I made it down to Hagrid's for Care of Magical Creatures and thoroughly enjoyed myself and the class. I think Hagrid really gets a bad rap. He's very knowledgeable about these mysteriously phenominal creatures.

I did find I needed to have certain items for the class that I neglected to bring with me on this first trip, but will remember in the future. They have been placed in my pack ... after receiving a reducio spell, of course. I don't know as I could carry all of it AND my books!

Supplies needed for Care of Magical Creatures:

1. Special heat-resistant gloves to protect my hands from the nasty effects of some animal salivas as well as blast-ended skrewts, and other HOT items ... they are well padded, too, so they can protect my hands from sharp pointy things and the bites of some creatures who may desire to sink their teeth into something meaty ... like a hand!

2. Goggles to keep debris with special lenses to protect against bright blasts from a blast-ended skrewt or dragon breath, and the spray of nastiness from unknown creatures.

3. Salad tongs to aid in the picking up of gross things, baby blast-ended skrewts, and small eggs (as I do not want to leave my scent on the eggs when observing them and being able to return them to their nests).

4. A camera to take photos for my scrapbook and notebook to aid in learning and remembering what I've been taught in the Forbidden Forest. I feel this is important, because then I will nto have to rely on memory. I can also keep a running recorded record of my findings and continued research.

5. A blanket to cuddle and help care for baby creatures, to wrap them up and protect them.

Part two of my Care of Magical Creature's homework is a quiz about House Elves.

1. House elves have a pasty, clay-like coloring to their skin and are only about 3 to 4 feet tall. Their ears are large and bat-like, never missing a sound, keen like those of a canine. House elves eyes are large and bulbous, softball-sized orbs with a glassy appearance, always aware. Their noses are small and can be pointy or squashed in appearance, as different from one elf to another as human beings' noses are different. Their attire is generally that of an old used pillowcase, tea towel, or other household item transferred into clothing. House elves arms and legs are long and gangly, their hands and feet seeming larger than required for their body size, and their hearts are so giving, wanting to fulfill their needs to the family for whom they work.

2. Kreacher is the house elf for the Black family.

3. Hermione Granger is knitting hats for the house elves. She leaves them lying around the Gryffindor Common Room, sometimes hidden under objects, in the hopes that a house elf will pick one up and be freed from servitude. However, none of the Hogwarts house elves will go into the Gryffindor Common Room any more because they do not want to be freed. Dobby is not afaid and has taken on the task of keeping it clean and picked up, and as a result, has acquired a large quantity of hats.

4. A house elf is only freed when given a piece of clothing by his master.

5. S.P.E.W. stands for the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare.

Part three is a bonus/extra credit assignment. I have made another beret and this one in a lovely light lavender color.

No comments:

Post a Comment