Monday, July 12, 2010

HSKS - Summer Camp - Kit Choices

I don't think I'm a finicky person or even slightly picky, but I am a bit OCD when it comes to putting things in a dishwasher a certain way or even folding my laundry.

However, these kits have thrown me for a loop. I couldn't decide which one I liked the best, and in all actuality, they all are first place in my book for various reasons. I like a little bit of something from each one.

To top it off, we could ONLY pick three, and in my little world, I would have listed them all. My spoilee can not go wrong with any choice.

However, to aid in kit assembly, I thought I'd add these tidbits into the workings of my brain and why I finally listed the ones I chose: Nature, Game, Craft.

Nature:
I find the outdoors peaceful, this is not to say it is my favorite place to be! I abhor bugs and insects and hot weather. I LOVE the autumn weather and what I call "sweater weather" and would be perfectly happy if each day was the same perfect autumn day. However, that being said, we all know that is not possible! I love to hear the pretty little birds singing around our house; to watch the bunnies as they hop around our yard; the chipmunks as they scurry (hopefully away from our eaves); the occasional dear that pops in to take a nibble on the tall grasses; and the pretty birds who visit our feeder during the colder months to gather seeds and whatever else we put out there. So, for a nature kit I have looked through things and come up with the following: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/little-acorn-project-bag ; http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/falling-leaves-socks-3 ; or http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vignes-vineyard-dishcloth .

Game:
As a family we like to play games, both inside and outside. We we live in a fairly wet and chilly climate, we tend to play more indoor games. The kids and I LOVE Harry Potter and for the longest time were collecting HP trading cards for the trading card game (not motion picture cards). Sadly, they have stopped making them :( I also appreciate traveling games, something easily packed to take along on a ferry ride, or when waiting during dance classes, etc. Books are also a favorite past-time, so bookmarks are always needed. Here are a couple items I have found which I think are cute and would be fun: Pass The Pigs ; a dice bag ; sockology bookmark for sock pattern books ; piccola bookmark ... but then again ... anything fun is always good :)

Crafts:
Well, here we are, at the toughy. Crafts. I have done some beaded stitch markers and earrings and a couple bracelets; I've knit tiny socks and other tiny things; scrapbooked numerous photos; TAKE photos all the time; have done some paper crafting (not a lot). But, I have not tried needle felting or spinning. I am still in the learning phases of felting and not sure I'll ever catch on to spinning ... that's an expense I am not quite ready for and does not, to me, offer the instant gratification of a completed project. I have done decoupage and stamping. But, I always come back to my needles :) Perhaps crafts was not quite the kit I should have chosen ... and maybe that is why it is at the bottom of the list :)

Well, there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment